Monday, August 24, 2009

If You'd Quit Buying Shoes...

I really do believe that God speaks to people.

And I believe that His words can take on many forms.

His words can be in the form of a message through another person, like a friend giving you the advice or answer you've been searching for when you hadn't even discussed it with that person. His words can be in the form of a verse of scripture that just jumps off the page at you and nearly knocks you out. Or they can come in the form of a voice that you hear in your head that you know is not your own, telling you something important. And His speaking to you can come in the form of a thought, idea, or solution that just pops into your head (and "sounds" like your own voice or however all of your other thoughts sound to your own self), but is something clearly not of your own thinking.

Now, in my saying that you may be thinking, “This chick is crazy!” But guess what? I don’t really care…I’ve heard His unmistakable voice enough times to have any sort of “proof” I might need, and I use that term loosely since the very essence of faith is operating without hard-core evidence that would stand up in court. All I know is this: countless times in my life when I have had a problem, question, dilemma, etc., if I wait long enough and am quiet enough, at some point the answer shows up in one of those ways I spoke of above.

God also speaks to us when we need a little correction.

We all have vices. We all have callings. And sometimes our vices are the very things that stand in the way of us living out our callings.

Coincidence? I think not.

Hmmm. Interesting that maybe God would make it difficult to overcome the very thing that stands in the way of our living out the purpose that He set for us.

Why? I don’t know.

Maybe it’s our way to prove to Him how serious we are about heeding His call.
Maybe it’s so that we can be just that much more dependent on Him.
Maybe it’s so that our own stories of triumph are that much richer.
Maybe it’s to develop our creativity and perseverance as the obstacles that surely will come begin to surface.

The point is that we’ll have to use some serious resolve if we are to give in to God and not to temptation.

The temptations can be many. For you it may unbelief, substance abuse, unfaithfulness in your marriage, taking what isn’t yours (time, money, attention, resources, etc.), but I encourage you to take a long, hard look at what your temptations might be and what God might be trying to communicate to you in regard to them.

My greatest struggle, my recurring sin, is materialism. And when I ease up on the willpower even one tiny bit, my materialism does get in the way of me living out the very purpose He created me for. Now the Bible speaks not of money as evil, but of the LOVE of money as evil. I don’t love money…I just really, really, really like the stuff it buys (some of it actual tangible stuff, some of it conveniences or services)! And I sometimes get caught up in the material world around me – for it constantly rears its ugly head by way of other people, the media, that shmancy mall around the corner…

Luckily, God speaks our language and when I do hear His still, small voice (even though I know it has the capacity to boom like thunder, it seldom does!), He speaks in a way that’s undeniably clear…no King James version, thank goodness!

Out of all of the messages I’ve gotten over the years, this one that came in the form of a clear thought popping into my head, was one of the most timely and compelling:
“If you’d quit buying shoes, you could feed the poor!”

Dang, He’s good! Cut to the chase, man! Bottom-line it! Wow! Cause how do you argue with that?

So, I am working on it. I am making progress. When I fail, I feel the disciplining, but loving hand of God upon me and Him whispering in my ear ever so softly saying, “Someone needs those shoes so much more than you do, girlfriend!” “Who else needs clothing or food today in your community?” “I know you’ve given, but could you sacrifice and give just a little more instead of buying those?” “Aren’t leopard flats and leopard heels enough?? Do you really need leopard wedges, too? Seriously, put that cash in the plate, sister, or the lightning strikes are coming!” “Your legacy is too important…”

Oh, there are all kinds of ways that I justify my materialism, especially my tendency to be a clothes horse. I rationalize it by the fact that I’ve never loved my body, so good clothes take the attention off of me and put it onto the items I’m wearing. I defend it by saying that good clothes make a good first impression. These and the other ways I excuse it are valid…the point is that while looking our best IS taking care of the temple and while we do have to wear clothes, they do not have to be expensive. God is laying it on my heart to find ways to be savvy in my shopping so that I honor him through my finances and by doing the very best I can with what he gave me in looking the best that I can.

So I try not to even go to DSW anymore…therefore eliminating the temptation altogether. I try to buy nothing on impulse, saving cash for it, and only purchasing after having donated to my church and the other things I love to give to first. But daily it is a struggle. Daily I need help. Daily I need prayer. Daily I have to trade instant gratification for the assurance of “Well done, my good and faithful servant”. Sometimes I fail. Sometimes I blow it. But sometimes I get it right, too, and have God to thank and God to praise.

Even though I love to buy stuff, I love to please God even more.

But you can bet your sweet bippy that I’ll be buried in those leopard heels that I already own and paid cash for!

Question: What is God speaking to you about today? What is He trying to tell you?

No comments: